Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Day 70: Peace Corps' 50th "Birthday


In 1960, presidential candidate John F. Kennedy's campaign proposals included one particularly novel idea. He wanted to recruit an army of volunteers who would counter the threat of international communism not with guns, but by working in impoverished and developing countries to improve the lives of people there. In a Nov. 2, 1960 speech in San Francisco, Kennedy described his vision for what he called a "peace corps."
"We cannot discontinue training our young men as soldiers of war," Kennedy told the audience, according to a New York Times account. "But we also need them as ambassadors of peace. This would be a volunteer corps--and volunteers would be sought among talented young women as well--and from every race and walk of life."

As Peace Corps celebrates its 50th anniversary, its service legacy continues to promote peace and friendship around the world with 7,671 volunteers serving in 77 host countries. Historically, nearly 200,000 Americans have served with the Peace Corps to promote a better understanding between Americans and the people of 139 host countries. Peace Corps volunteers must be U.S. citizens and at least 18 years of age. Peace Corps service is a 27-month commitment.

I was in the Peace Corps for 3 years in Jamaica from 1974 to 1977. It was a turning point in my life. Nothing, as of yet, compares to the impact it had on me, and still, today influences my actions. It has been almost 34 years since I served. I had heard about the Peace Corps in the mid sixties and pictured myself doing something different, wanting to go to Africa. I had asked to go to Zaire, Africa, a place I had wanted to go to since I was in the fifth grade. Once I signed up, though, Peace Corps had a different place in mind for my skills. I was invited to Jamaica, and just before my 24th birthday, I went to Jamaica as a teacher trainer in Art and Craft Education for 2 years. I extended a third year to start a small, one room special education school. I was completely satisfied where I went and what I did. It was exactly where I needed to go. The Peace Corps and Jamaica transformed my life.

I guess my experience had some influence on my niece, who joined the Peace Corps to serve in Nicaragua from 2004 to 2006. She met her future husband, another Peace Corps Volunteer, and spent their two years serving the people of Nicaragua in unison.

Today’s donation is given to an organization founded by niece’s fiancĂ© and other returning Peace Corps Volunteers who also served in Nicaragua between 2004 to 2008. This organization, Help Educate, is an international development organization built on the idea that education has the power to transform individuals and communities. The organization works with local Nicaraguan community leaders to identify students with the greatest potential for making a positive impact in their communities. They provide these students with scholarships to leading Nicaraguan universities, where they learn the technical abilities and leadership skills necessary for moving Nicaragua forward.

Help Educate seeks to provide Nicaraguan youths with access to university level educations. Education is a basic right that everyone deserves. A student who succeeds in school not only gains the knowledge taken from the classroom, but also gains the satisfaction and self-esteem that comes with having accomplished something difficult. By raising the level of technical education in Nicaragua and empowering its youth to become the country's future leaders, Help Educate is sustainably investing in Nicaragua's development. An educated citizen is much more likely to seek out challenging questions and struggle to improve his or her community. Help Educate’s goal is to allow Nicaragua to improve its own situation by providing badly needed education to its poorest citizens.

Donation: $50  … for the 50 years of Peace Corps

To support Help Educate, please visit: http://www.helpeducatenicaragua.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment