Saturday, January 1, 2011

Welcome to Philanthropy in Motion



Today marks the beginning of the documentation of my experience as a micro philanthropist. This project started December 22, 2010 with the first donation, and the next day on Facebook. This blog, Philanthropy in Motion commences today, January 1, 2011 (1.1.11). I waited for this number! It will chronicle my journey with this philanthropic project. It is not a new year’s resolution but a new personal revolution. I have stepped way out of the box with some radical thinking about money, wealth, prosperity and abundance and it’s meaning.  Money has been fiercely scarce. To give money away seems almost surreal. The idea of giving every day doesn’t seem possible when living check to check is the norm.  So I thought.!!

Now, it's about shifting money, changing priorities and perspectives. It's about moving forward and not forgetting humanity. It’s about fulfilling a longstanding desire to give. It's about giving back in a way that works with what I have, whether that is large or small. It’s about reaching out to those in need, in directions that encompass the spectrum of need that has caught my attention too many times.

Recently I was introduced to a young man in Chicago through his Facebook and blog who has been giving to charities every day since April 2010. His story has become inspiring enough to decide that I can do this, I can give daily. Philanthropy has always been synonymous with individuals having wealthy pockets. Carlo Garcia, with his efforts, generosity and creativity, changed my mind forever about philanthropic requirements.  I want to make this work.

I invite you to join me in this journey.  Drop by now and then to see how it’s all working out. If you’re interested in some philanthropic acts of giving you’ll be able to find the charity for you from the list created on this blog. Otherwise, visit and throw a few words of support and encouragement once in a while.

This journey began on my Facebook. The following are the first 10 days:
Day 1: 12/22: Matthew Shepard Foundation: $5
Day 2: 12/23: Tipping Bucket: $1
Day 3: 12/24: Aid for Aidan: $5
Day 4: 2/25: Help Educate: $5
Day 5: 12/26: Futures for Children: $5
Day 6: 12/27: EDAR: Everyone Deserves A Roof: $5
Day 7: 12/28: Starlight Children's Foundation: $5
Day 8: 12/29 The Human Rights Campaign: $5
Day 9: 12/30: Cell Phones For Soldiers: $5
Day 10: 12/31: Children's Defense Fund: $5
















No comments:

Post a Comment